Tuesday, February 16, 2010

In Memorium ~ Evanell Williams (1925-2009)

Last week I was saddened to learn that Evanell Williams died on Christmas Eve, 2009. I had the good fortune to meet her late last summer when I conducted an interview with her husband, Ben for this project. (His father was a member of the United Mine Workers during the Mine War. Ben is a former miner and continues the fight for worker's rights as an active retiree with the UMWA.)

After the interview, I sat and visited with the couple for awhile. Eventually we meandered outside to look at their lush garden next to the house. To thank them for their hospitality, I shot a quick portrait of the couple there.

Ben and Evanell Williams

As it turned out, a cropped version of that photo was used for
Evanell's obituary. I'm glad they liked the photo, but also sad that it was needed for that purpose.

Here's a link to her obituary published in the Harrisburg Register. My sincere condolences to Ben and his family.

No comments: